September 8 –10 2022 | Online via Zoom
Call for Panels and Papers – extended deadline, 27 May 2022
Please email proposals to: email@example.com
ASEAS(UK) invites scholars and PhD students from all academic disciplines to submit panels or papers on any research topic within the field of Southeast Asian Studies.
As an international and multi-disciplinary scholarly organisation, ASEAS particularly welcomes submissions from Southeast Asia-based scholars and proposals that would develop cross-disciplinary collaboration. Multimodal presentations suitable for the online environment are also welcome and we invite proposals for screenings of documentaries or fiction films, from Southeast Asia.
Panels and events will be held in morning, afternoon and evening slots to provide maximum flexibility for those presenting. Conveners are welcome to suggest a particular UK time slot for their panel given.
Possible panel themes/subjects:
- Elections and political parties
- ASEAN economic integration
- Global value chains and Southeast Asia
- Emergent middle classes and urban elites
- Cross-border investments and trades
- (Trans)national real-estate drives
- Non-alignment, ASEAN and global power shifts
- ASEAN and the sustainability agenda
- Land-grabbing and livelihoods, rural and urban
- Politics of the precariat
- Environmental and climate precarities
- Prosperity religions in Southeast Asia
- China’s Belt and Road investments and their impacts
- Borders and bordering processes
- Precarious childhoods
- Gender, generation, prosperity and precarity
- Ethnicity, inequality and Intra-Southeast Asian migration
- Human rights, social media and political polarisation
- Expulsions and modern-day slavery
- Decolonising and globalising Area Studies for Southeast Asia
- Academic freedom in Southeast Asia
- Arts and creativity in social transformations
- Heritage as an agent of social change
- Archaeological frontiers and new social histories
- Insights from early career scholars – a panel dedicated to presenting research from current postgraduate students
ASEAS(UK) will hold its September 2022 conference online using the Zoom platform in September. The conference will include academic panels, roundtables and other innovative formats. In addition to keynote talks, all participants will be able to attend workshops on topics including:
- Preparing for academic job interviews in the UK
- Getting published in international journals
- Pathways and strategies from the PhD to the book
All panels will be recorded and available to participants for online viewing for 30 days after the conference ends.
Individual paper proposals will be grouped together by subject, theme, or discipline.
Panels should consist of a convener and 3-4 presenters. Where possible we encourage inclusion of a discussant. Double sessions of at least six presenters will also be possible. All panels should be open to people from outside the convenor’s host institution or research project.
Roundtables should address relevant issues and new developments, and consist of a convener and 3- 6 participants who prepare short opening points for discussion. The format should then open to discussion and interaction with the audience.
Alternative panel formats
Conveners are encouraged to propose events adopting alternative formats. This may include shorter presentations based on pre-circulated papers followed by a roundtable conversation, book discussions, or other productive alternatives to standard formats.
Paper and Panel Proposals – 27 May 2022
A list of panels accepted will be published on our website and circulated on our social media channels (Twitter and Facebook) and email in early June.
Please email proposals to firstname.lastname@example.org
Panel conveners must send a complete list of panelists to ASEAS(UK) before 30 June 2022.
The conference is for ASEAS members only. ASEAS annual membership rates start at £15 for postgraduate and early career researchers.
Membership benefits include the opportunity to participate in ASEAS conferences and seminars, eligibility to apply for ASEAS research grants, as well as a bi-monthly members’ newsletter with the latest Southeast Asian Studies news and opportunities.
To find out more about ASEAS membership benefits and how to join visit our membership page.
- Early bird fee: £35 (until 11 July 2022)
- Regular fee: £45
- Student and low income fee: £20
- Spectator only fee £1
- 11 July 2022: Deadline Early Bird fee
- 1 August 2022: Overall registration & payment deadline when organising a panel and/or presenting a paper.
- After 1 August 2022 it will still be possible to register and finalise the payment if you wish to join the conference without presenting a paper.
Each participant is only allowed to present one paper in one panel. Additional roles such as convener, round table member and/or discussant are possible.